Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Questions

Let's see if we can get this started. Please remind your classmates that I need to have a gmail address in order to give them access to the blog. I have temporarily blocked anyone who has not been invited. Remember everyone in class will have access to this so make sure your comments are appropriate.

What's wrong with this problem? The fourth root of 81 = 3.

4 comments:

riley said...

It could be 3 and -3 because 3 to the 4th and -3 to the 4th is 81

sean said...

Like Riley said, 3 to the fourth is 81, and so is -3 to the fourth. However the book states: "When you find the nth root(4) of an even power(4)and an odd power is the result,(1) you must take the absolute value of the result to ensure that the value is non negative" Also one key element is missing from Riley's logic. When no plus or minus signs are given in the original problem, they want the principal root. Because the principal root is the non negative number when there are more than one real root, absolute value signs are needed

Connor said...

sean I beat you by 4 minutes lol

Mrs. D. Jacobe said...

Since I did not use the radical for this question riley is correct. It could be -3.